The History of the Delco-Remy Divsion of General Motors
A.K.A. "The Remy Brothers" or "The Remy Electric Company"
1896-1994
Delco-Remy at the Normandy Invasion, June 6, 1944   World War Two Products and Product Applications    The Army-Navy "E" Award   Our War Job

Home  History   The Plants   Plant Photos   Moments in Time  The Products   Product Brochures   Service Manuals   Training Booklets   Video  Employment Numbers   Museums   Sources  Allied Divisions   Revisions   Reunions   Remy Electric Country Club   Vintage Literature about The Remy Electric Company   Links

 

Air Force Museum   America's Packard Museum    Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum   Buick Museum   Chrysler Museum   Gilmore Car Museum   Kansas Aviation Museum   Kokomo Auto Museum   Michigan Firehouse Museum   Museum of Flight   National Automobile and Truck Museum    National Packard Museum   Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust Allison Branch  RE Olds Transportation Museum   Ropkey Armor Museum   Studebaker Museum   USS Alabama Aviation Museum   War in the Pacific Museum   Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum

Ropkey Armor Museum - Crawfordsville, IN

The Ropkey Armor Museum is located at the Ropkey residence about 30 minutes west of Indianapolis just off of I-74.  The late Fred Ropkey had been collecting armor for a least 50 years and now has one of the finest private collections in the world, which is open to the public most of the year on weekdays.  Within Fred's pristine collection we were able to find the Delco-Remy components below that helped win WWII.

This WWII era Cadillac engine has both a DR Starter and Distributor on it.  Cadillac produced 10,663 M5 Tanks during WWII at not only its Detroit Plant but at the BOP plant in South Gate, CA.  Each M5 tank had two Cadillac V8 engines so Delco-Remy would have provided at least 21,326 distributors, coils, DC generators and starters for the tanks.  It is unknown whether Delco Batteries also came as part of the DR package of components.
 

Here one can see the Delco-Remy Starter in the lower left and the Distributor on the top of the engine.  The coil and DC generator are missing.
 

 
 
 

The starter looks to be Delco-Remy Model Number 1108118 and Serial number 1430.
 
From this view the Delco-Remy distributor with DR tag is plainly visible.
 
 
The DR tag on this shows it being Model Number 1110611 and Serial Number 19672.
 

Here one can view the lubricator cap.  Before self lubricating bearings and bushings oil needed to be added periodically to the distributor, probably at oil change time.
 
 

Cadillac and Massey-Harris produced 4,731 during WWII, so again Delco-Remy would have produced twice this number of electrical components plus spares for the war effort.
 

 

 

Delco-Remy at the Normandy Invasion, June 6, 1944   World War Two Products and Product Applications   The Army-Navy "E" Award   Our War Job
Home  History   The Plants   Plant Photos   Moments in Time  The Products   Product Brochures   Service Manuals   Training Booklets   Video  Employment Numbers   Museums   Sources  Allied Divisions   Revisions   Reunions   Remy Electric Country Club   Vintage Literature about The Remy Electric Company   Links

This Website has no affiliation with General Motors, Delphi Holdings, Remy International, or Borg-Warner.  The content is to only present a historical perspective of the plants and products of the former Delco-Remy Division previous to 1994.  All content
presented on this website is for general information only.   Website designed and maintained by David D Jackson.  
Contact:  David D Jackson