The History of the Delco-Remy Divsion of General Motors
A.K.A. "The Remy Brothers" or "The Remy Electric Company"
1896-1994
Delco-Remy at the Normandy Invasion, June 6, 1944   World War Two Products and Product Applications   The Army-Navy "E" for Excellence Award   Our War Job

Home  History   The Plants   Plant Photos   Moments in Time  The Products   Product Brochures   Service Manuals   Training Booklets   Video  Employment Numbers   Museums   Sources  Allied Divisions   Revisions   Reunions   Remy Electric Country Club   Vintage Literature about The Remy Electric Company   Links

 

Air Force Museum   America's Packard Museum    Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum   Buick Museum   Chrysler Museum   Gilmore Car Museum   Kansas Aviation Museum   Kokomo Auto Museum   Michigan Firehouse Museum   Museum of Flight   National Automobile and Truck Museum    National Packard Museum   Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust Allison Branch  RE Olds Transportation Museum   Ropkey Armor Museum   Studebaker Museum   USS Alabama Aviation Museum   War in the Pacific Museum   Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum

Michigan Firehouse Museum - Ypsilanti, MI

This is one of several firemen's' museums that are located throughout the US that are dedicated to telling their story and what equipment they do it with.  The Michigan Firehouse Museum is located in downtown Ypsilanti and has several fire apparatus displays that have Delco-Remy components on them.  This was in the days when DR was not dedicated to just taking care of the GM car divisions but intent on supplying any manufacturer that needed and wanted to use its electrical components.


This is the view as one walks in the door.  To take in all the displays and read all of the information one can get through the museum in one to two hours.

 


 A 1928 Seagrave Triple Combination Fire Engine with Delco-Remy regulator, DC generator, and distributor.

 

In action!
 
From this location one can see the oldest Delco-Remy contact regulator found on a museum display.  It is to the left of the bell and actually has a DR Tag.
 
 
This was the first time I had seen Delco-Remy regulator of such early vintage.
 
 
Serial Number 5524.  It appears the serial number has been replaced with the voltage and was manufactured during the two years that Delco-Remy had control of the former DELCO plant in downtown Dayton, OH.
This shows not only the DR regulator but the DR DC generator below the exhaust manifold. 
 
One can make out half of the DR ID tag at the top of the DC generator.
 
This is the best one can take a photo and attempt to capture the ID Tag.
 
Note that in this photo the engine covers have been reversed.  I as able to have the docent flip them from one side to another in order to photograph the Delco-Remy ignition on what was in 1928 the driver's side.
 
Note that not only does this have a Delco-Remy distributor but a not DR magneto.
 
 
 
 The Model number looks to be 400 or 400? with a serial number of 238.
 
 
 A 1938 Seagrave Safety Sedan Pumper.
 
 
The 1938 Safety Sedan has a DR regulator which appears to be next generation as it is smaller and does not carry a DR ID Tag.
 
  In this view one can see the DR regulator in the upper right hand corner and the Delco-Remy DC generator low in the center of the engine.
 
A close up of the DR generator and the painted over DR ID Tag.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The museum is attached to the old fire station, which is also part of the display.
 
 

 

 

Delco-Remy at the Normandy Invasion, June 6, 1944   World War Two Products and Product Applications   The Army-Navy "E" for Excellence Award   Our War Job
Home  History   The Plants   Plant Photos   Moments in Time  The Products   Product Brochures   Service Manuals   Training Booklets   Video  Employment Numbers   Museums   Sources  Allied Divisions   Revisions   Reunions   Remy Electric Country Club   Vintage Literature about The Remy Electric Company   Links

This Website has no affiliation with General Motors, Delphi Holdings, Remy International, or Borg-Warner.  The content is to only present a historical perspective of the plants and products of the former Delco-Remy Division previous to 1994.  All content
presented on this website is for general information only.   Website designed and maintained by David D Jackson.  
Contact:  David D Jackson