Plant 18 during better times in 1986.
1977 was the year the pictured logo was introduced. Gene Phillips
Dates shown below are the for when the plants
were part of DR, although many went on to become Remy International or
Automotive Component Group (ACG) / Delphi operated facilities. So by
default the last possible date for any plant will be 1994. In the
case of the Anderson Complex GM retained ownership of all of the land and
plants. Delphi never had any intention of staying in Anderson
from day one. We were all Dead On Arrival with the new company.
||Dates - DR Production
||Plant History and Products
14 by 20 foot shack that was
used by Perry and Frank Remy for experimentation. This was on the south
west corner of the intersection.
|14 & 1/2
Manufacture of automotive
dynamos and magnetos.
corner of 1st and Sherman or Second and Hendricks
Manufacture of automotive
dynamos and magnetos. This location has also been identified as
First and Sherman or 2nd
and Hendricks. First and Sherman is on the property owned by the former Container Corporation
property. Production overlapped with the new Columbus Avenue
facility until June of 1909 when the property was sold to Sefton Mfg
(later Container Corp). See our History page for more documentation
on this subject.
Purchased on May 23, 1906 and
construction began with the individual one story buildings that were north
and south of the center section of what eventually became Plant One.
Plant One east-west section was built in 1919 with the with the five story
section parallel to Columbus Ave. being completed in 1929. Begins
the manufacture of Klaxon Horns in 1924 with final assembly on the third
floor. By 1948 all manufacturing had left Plant 1 for
the other plants and it then was utilized for all engineering and
administration until product engineering moved to Plant 18 in 1962.
After the reorganization into SBUs in 1987 product engineering and
administration for the Heavy Duty SBU, Generators and Motors moved into
the facility. Some time before 1994 the General Managers office was moved to Plant 18.
After 1994 remaining AC Delco Systems activities were moved to Plant 18 and Remy
International moved to other locations until it was vacated in 1998. It was torn down in 2001.
|The First Plant
This is in Muncie on SR 32
(Kilgore Ave) at the intersection of South Perkins Street and is currently
owned by the Muncie School System. The plant was built in the 1923
time frame for the development and production of electrical lights for
Harvester Tractors. When the ARVAC building sent motor production to
Plant 6 it appears the operation and Plant Number 3 shifted to that
location and this was closed. While there is nothing on this in any
of the DR written histories, Everett Vinson, father of Ted, worked at this
plant so we have verification it was in use by Remy.
| The First Plant
2 and Second Plant 3
American Rotary Valve (Arvac) Remy Electric Company
Purchased to produce cranking
motors according to the Delco-Remy History files, which also state the Guide Lamp Company of Cleveland, OH was purchased
in 1928 and the equipment then set up in this building, with motors being
assembled on the main floor of the building while the armatures were wound
in the mezzanine. The cranking motor product line moved to Plant 6 in
1926. The DR history
also has the tail and side lamps produced in Muncie being moved to this location
All of this evolved into the Guide Lamp Division of GMC in 1929. The Guide
Lamp history has the business being purchased in 1923 rather than 1928
which means both cranking motors and headlamps being produced in this
facility at the same time. This building was located at the Anderson
Guide facility on the west side of Anderson at 25th Street and the
railroad tracks and survived until GM razed the entire complex in
This was a foundry according
to the 1929 DR phone book and is believed to be the Bu-Nite Piston Company
plant purchased in 1929.
|The First Plant
5 and Second Plant 7
A box plant located at 25th
and Walnut Streets on the location of the second Plant Five, the Foundry.
It appears that the north end of this complex was torn down to make way
for the Foundry in late 1927 or early 1928. However, the south end
remained and became Plant 7. On April 3, 1929 the 150 foot by 50
foot southern most section burned. Later, on December 13, 1932 the
rest of the building caught fire and was destroyed. These two
incidents have been ignored in the official Delco-Remy histories.
|The First Plant
Located at 329 East 1st Street
in Dayton, OH. Manufacture by Delco-Remy of
shock absorbers in the previous Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company
plant. Previously this plant had been making electrical parts in
competition with Remy. This became Delco Products Division of GMC in
Opened July 2, 1927.
Manufactured distributors and coils including phenolic thermoset molding
until April 1949 when the division wide kitchen and Plants 4-6-8 cafeteria
were installed when the lunch period went from one hour to 30 minutes.
Distributors, coils and phenolic molding moved to Plant 10.
During WWII the plant manufactured military coils and distributors along
with molding parts and building breakers for the Plant 10 built aircraft
This was a shared plant with
the Hyatt Bearing Division and was located along the Thames River in
London. Many DR employees were killed and injured when the plant was
destroyed during the Battle of Britain by German bombers. The
operation then moved to the AC plant at Dunstable northwest of London.
Built for the production of
cranking motors Plant 3 maintained this product line for its entire life.
During WWII it produced starters for military trucks. During the
Korean War the plant produced 5,000 motors to replace starters on WWII
trucks enroute to Korea. It had additions in 1951, 1959 and the mid
60's at which time it reached a capacity of 21,500 motors per day.
Remy International took over the facility in 1994 and remained until 1998.
GM tore down the plant in 2003.
Opened January 28, 1926.
Produced passenger car generators which came to it from Plant One along
with heavy duty
generators from 1935-1938. During WWII manufactured servo bodies for aircraft
automatic pilots. After WWII it returned to making generators.
After 1962 when the Delcotron became the standard passenger car generator
Plant 4 continued with the 6 and 12 volt DC generator product line
for service and for car, truck and tractor OEMs still using that
Opened November 29, 1928.
This was the grey iron casting foundry that produced castings for the
different product lines in Anderson including motor housings, generator
end frame, iron bowl distributor bases and heavy duty generator and
starter housings. From 1980-1986 Plant 5 ran 35,000 HEI distributor
gear blanks on second shift after outside suppliers could not hold the
proper chemistry needed to keep the gears from failing in engine
applications. Actually the gear had to be not too hard or not to
soft as the proper hardness of the gear would allow it to fail before the
more expensive camshaft. When Direct Ignition was introduced the
gear was no longer needed and plant volume dropped. The last pore of
metal was made on October 4, 1987. The plant was then torn down.
Opened November 6 and a circus
in the building celebrated the event. Was built for the production
of cranking motors which came to it from the Arvac building. Motor
production went to Plant 3 in 1938 when regulators and relays became the
product line which would stay in the plant until the product line was sold
and the plant was torn down. Also in 1938 heavy-duty generators came
to the plant before going to Plant 8During WWII various types of
voltage regulators were built along with automatic aircraft engine
| The Third Plant 7
Originally named the Aluminum
Foundry, construction started on 9-1-1940 and was completed in just 71
days on December 10, 1940. Floodlights were set up so work by the
300 contractors employed in the construction could continue after dark.
Originally when announced by DR this was to be numbered Plant 10. On December 28, 1940 the first castings
were produced. Built to produce aluminum castings for the Allison
V-1710 V-12 cylinder liquid cooled aircraft engine, DR provided over half
of the Al castings for Allison which would have gone into over 35,000
engines. The Allison V-1710 powered the P-38, P-39, P-40, P-51A,
P-63 and A-36 aircraft during WWII. The equipment and tooling were
turned over to Allison after the war, enabling DR to move its own product
lines into the plant.
In 1946 the horn product line
was moved to the plant along with zinc die cast which was on the west end
of the plant. It was removed when the plant began producing Al die cast
parts for various products including switches, distributors and
generators after the north addition was put on the plant in 1953-54.
Thermoset Molding (Bakelite) was added along with the
production of various electrical automotive switches. These included
switches for the column lock ignition, turn signal, neutral start back up,
headlight, dimmer, and windshield wiper. Four lines of horns were
also in the plant in the 1970's.
After switches, horns, die
cast and Bakelite molding was moved out in the early 1980 the front end of
Plant 7 (south end) was totally refurbished new windows, repainted ceiling
and walls, along with all punch press pits filled in with concrete to make
way for the arrival of the Heavy Duty Cranking Motor product line from
Remy International occupied it after 1994 until it moved operations out.
It was torn down in 1995.
Opened July 12, 1928. An
addition was completed in 1936 on the west end where the DR softball field
had been and was called the annex. The first products to be made in
the plant were the Blossom Transmission and Ignition Lock and wiring
harnesses. The lock business only lasted until the early 1930's but
was replaced by control rods and the Packard Cable Company business in
1933. Prior to WWII brushes for generators and motors came into
Plant 8, along with the machining of engine parts for Allison in
Indianapolis which included pistons, supercharger impellers and aircraft
magnetos. During WWII Plant 8 produced
aircraft generators. After the war it produced 12, 24 and 32 volt
heavy duty starters and generators.
This was a vacant auto
assembly plant that had produced the Sheridan Automobile in 1921-1922 for
WB Durant and the Interstate Automobile before that. This was GM
Project 251 and had a project allocation of $250,000. Production
began in March.
Bloomfield was the east coast
Battery Plant for DR and was producing 4,000 batteries a day when on
January 21, 1942 it became part of the Eastern Aircraft Division of GM
which produced under license from Grumman 1060 FM-1and 4,777 FM-2 Wildcat
fighters and 7,546 TBM Avengers for the US Navy. Bloomfield produced
all of the electrical and hydraulic assemblies and ammunition boxes for
the aircraft. After WWII it war replaced by the New Brunswick
Battery Plant due it was viewed as not considered economically practical
to convert back to battery production and it was replaced by the New
Brunswick, NY Battery Plant. During its life as a DR Battery Plant
Bloomfield produced 8 million batteries.
In 1950 General Plastics
purchased the facility for the process of Fluoropolymer coating.
General Plastics and the building still exist today.
DR manages the former Crosley
Radio operation in Kokomo until it becomes as separate division of GM,
Built to produce Aircraft
magnetos and machine parts for aircraft engines during WWII.
Magnetos would be produced in the plant until 1952. Iron bowl
distributor production along with the molding department was moved to the
plant from plant 2 in 1949 when the cafeteria was installed in plant 2.
In 1950 an addition was added on the east end for more capacity to
manufacture of the phenolic resin thermoset distributor caps and rotors.
Flat top distributor with an Al base production began in 1954.
Another addition was added in 1964 on the
front or north side of the plant. This included both male and female
locker rooms on either side of the ramp as one walked in from the front
towards the office long with gear hobbing and the manufacture of cams and
distributor contacts. After distributor
production shifted to the HEI in Plant 20 it continued making the
distributor gears and shafts until it closed. After the old
distributor business was sold horns and switches from Plant 7 moved in.
Switches built were column dimmer, headlight, column lock ignition and one
new headlight switch.
ACG operated the plant for several years after
|The First Plant
This plant was acquired by DR
to increase capacity for the production of Al castings for Allison and was
turned over to Allison after the war. This is not the same plant that is currently part of GM Powertrain
Division, as that plant produced grey iron and steel castings during
WWll. This facility was numbered Plant 11 according to an article in
January 26, 1945 issue of "The Clan".
This plant was a government owned facility
that DR leased during the war and was Defense Plant Plancor number 1208.
According to 1946 War Assets Documentation it was already sold by the US
Government in 1946. The plant had a capacity of 10,200,000 lbs per
Originally called the Antioch
Foundry, the company's name was changed to the Morris Bean and Company in
1940. Its assets were purchased by General Motors in November
1940, and assigned to Delco-Remy Division. A 15,000 square foot
steel and brick expansion was added to the foundry and completed after
120 days in April 1941. The Antioch Foundry provided molds for the
Allison engine castings produced in Anderson Plant 7. The facility
also provided training to Plant 7 personnel on the new casting process
that Antioch had developed that allowed for the faster processing of
castings in the war effort. In April of 1940, Antioch employed 58
hourly workers and twelve salaried personnel. Total employment was
expected to rise to 100 as the plant produced molds, and did pilot work
on new casting methods. At the end of the war, Allison Division
took over the management of Antioch in October 1945. In 1946 the
assets were purchased back from Allison by Morris Bean and his wife,
Xarifa, who was also instrumental in the development work at the plant. It
the Morris Bean and Company, which is still in business today making precision
|US Navy Owned
||Kings Mills, OH
This plant was purchased to
produce heavy duty cranking motors for landing craft in WWII. The
Plant was turned back over to the Navy after the war.
Built in 1952 to manufacture
jet engine compressor and turbine rotors for Allison jet engines, which
ceased at the end of 1954. Concurrently in 1953 the plant began
manufacturing Hydramatic automatic transmission parts to keep production
going on Hydramatic due to the fact that the GM Livonia Transmission
Plant had burned down. Starting in 1953 the plant began the
manufacture of distributor and other vacuums, a product line it would keep
until the late 1990s. Also during that time frame it manufactured
magnetic switches, solenoids, outboard motor cranking motors and stators
for flywheel generators.
In the late 1950's defense products entered
the product portfolio of the plant which included transformer rectifiers
for aircraft, linear solenoids for missiles, and silver-sink batteries for
Minuteman Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles, which stayed in the plant
Delcotron began production in 1962 and in 1977 Plant 11 was producing
31,000 per day on four production lines. The plant during this time
period was producing 130,000 vacuums per day. Plant 11 housed the
thermoplastic molding departments for all of the Anderson plants except
for horn parts which were molded in Plant 7 and later Plant 10. Also
manufactured in the plant was the heated windshield power module and the
transmission mounted NSBU switch.
In 1977 there were 2,100
hourly and 130 salary employees in Plant 11 resulting in an annual payroll
of over $30 million. The plant covered 534,135 square feet or 12.26
After 1994 the
ACG and later Delphi continued to build generators in the plant until
2005. GM tore it down in 2006.
The twenty seven acres of land
to build the New Brunswick, NJ battery plant was purchased in April
1945. Built to support the east
coast GM assembly plants at Wilmington, DE, Tarrytown, NY and Baltimore,
MD, and the east coast aftermarket, New Brunswick started producing
Freedom Batteries in 1973 for Chevrolet Vegas. The plant was purchased by JCI
in 2006 which it ran until it closed the facility on March 13, 2007.
It currently still stands but is vacant.
Built to supply batteries to
the three GM assembly plants in California (Freemont, Southgate and Van
Nuys) along with aftermarket production.
Olathe was the first plant to
produce the maintenance free battery in 1970-1971 employing what was
described as wire wound grid technology. The product was sold
exclusively to JC Penny. Located just southwest of Kansas, City, KS, this
plant could supply OEM batteries to the GM Fairfax, KS plant and later on
the assembly plants in Oklahoma City, OK and Wentzville, MO. The
last production battery was a heavy duty unit for Caterpillar in February
of 2005. It was razed in 2009.
This plant was built and
utilized for the packaging and shipment of service parts. In 1994 it
closed and was sold and that function moved to Plant 19 after the stacker
system was removed. Currently S&S Steel, a slitting operation, owns
Built as a maintenance,
tooling and central stores operation. Still exists and is owned by
the city of Anderson. Currently vacant and unused. After 1994
it continued as as ACG/Delphi tooling facility and
The plant was built to house
all of the DR screw machines (automatics) and header operations all in one
location. Previous to its construction these machines were spread
piecemeal through the complex.
the plant was essentially doubled in size with an addition on the west
end. At the same time the Model Shop which at been in Plant 24
Midwest was moved in. With the new CS line of Delcotrons that was
introduced in 1986 the area right that was right behind the office was
reconfigured for the production of wafer diodes for the bridges.
This included the stamping of copper strips and inline molding insulators
in the process. A "White Room" clean room was set up for the
contaminant free production of the diode wafers and their solder pads.
This area remained in the plant after 1994 even though the rest of the
plant was taken over by Remy International. The diode operation
remained until replaced by the button diodes. Plant 17 was abandoned
by Remy International around 2000 and then torn down by GM.
Plant 18 was built to house
the Product Engineering Function for the Division, consisting of a three
story office building and a one story product test lab complex. The
three story office building design was also used by GM at Packard in
Warren, OH which was a two story engineering/administrative facility and
at Delco Radio as a three story and numbered Plant 10, which is now due
After the change to Strategic
or Small Business Units (SBU) in 1987 it became location for the Battery
and Control/Ignition SBUs while at the same time product engineering
for Delcotrons, Motors and Heavy-Duty went to Plant One. In the
early 90's the divisional headquarters were to moved to Plant 18 from
Plant One. Later as part of ACG/Dephi the Generator SBU moved
in as Plant One closed and at about the same time the Battery SBU moved to
After closing in 2003
ownership was turned over to the city of Anderson in 2006 along with the
rest of the Anderson Complex. Plant 18 and 22 acres was sold to
Anderson based Hy-Tech Machining for $425,000 by the city of Anderson in
2008. It published intention was to only utilize the former lab area
for it machining operation and tear down the three story. In 2008
this would have been a good strategy due to the elevated price of steel
and other raw materials it could have made money in the demolition.
However, with the bubble bursting on raw material prices in the economic
downturn of late 2008 and 2009 razing the three story may be cost
prohibitive for Hy-Tech. In early 2010 Families Forever started
operating in the three story through the front lobby.
This structure was built as an
OEM shipping shipping plant for all of the Anderson Plants. It
featured a an automated stacker system in the east section of the plant
for storage of finished product. When Just in Time inventory and
shipping became the popular the stacker was no longer needed as product
was shipped of the producing plant's dock and the stacker was removed.
When Plant 15 was vacated the service parts moved into Plant 19.
Later it was sold to AMACOR, a company recycles magnesium. West
section of the plant burned in an arson fire several years ago and was not
Built in 1972 with first
production of the High Energy Ignition in mid 1973 for model year
The plant closed in 2007 but still stands and is currently for sale.
The City of Anderson owns the building and property. In 2010 the
Plant was sold to S&S Steel.
This was also known as the
morgue and was used to store obsolete equipment. Previously it had
produced regalia for fraternal lodges before being purchased by DR.
This was also used for storage
of obsolete equipment until it could be sold. It was located on West
Washington at what used to be Front Discharge Mixer.
This plant located in the
basement of Plant 11 manufactured silver-zinc batteries for the US Air
Force Minuteman Missile program. Each missile had two batteries.
One initiated the firing sequence and the other powered the navigation
system. The batteries only had to power the unit for less than two
minutes because after that time the missile's ballistic course was set for
the 15 minute trip to the target.
First DR battery plant to
exclusively produce the maintenance free battery which were built for customers like
GM, Wal-Mart, K-mart, Sears, Honda and Western Auto. It supported
the two GM assembly plants at Lakewood and Doraville in the Atlanta, GA
area and also provided aftermarket batteries for the region. The plant
continued as a supplier to Johnson Controls until late 2007.
The former Midwest Plant was purchased
to package and ship service parts for civilian transportation during WWII.
It continued with that operation after the war and also added the Model
Shop, which then went to Plant 17 in 1966. According to a Heavy Duty
Remanufactured Starting Motor and Alternator Brochure dated 1981 Plant 24
in Anderson was remodeled in 1980 for Heavy Duty Alternators and contained
60,000 square feet. I am not certain that this remodeled Plant 24
was still in Midwest or that Plant 24 was moved into another plant in
This was originally a National
Homes plant and was purchased for
the production of 5MT starting motors and later built permanent magnet
gear reduction cranking motors. It also had a powdered metal forge
which when it left DR in 1994 was processing over 17 million pounds of
powdered metal. Remy International operated the facility until
February 27, 1998 and moved the production back to its new South Anderson Plant.
Plant 9 in Muncie and manufactured Freedom Batteries while in existence.. It was closed and torn down in 1998.
This was the production site
of the Misar, the first digital computerized engine control. After
two years Delco Electronics took over the business and moved the operation
to former AC Electronics plant that DE had also taken over at Oak Creek in
the Milwaukee, WI area. This was the beginning of computerized
engine control which is standard today on all vehicles and was
invented by Delco-Remy.
According to a Heavy Duty
Remanufactured Starting Motor and Alternator Brochure dated 1981 Plant 28
in Laurel, MS was built specifically for the remanufacturing of Heavy Duty
Motors and contained 200,000 square feet.
Produced 15SI, 17SI, CS130,
CS130D and CS144 Alternators.
Middle East Battery Company in Dammam, Saudi
Arabia was assigned this number which started production on 12-29-1997
which is post DR. This may have replaced a number for a plant that
was never built.
This was a plant run by GM of France produced
starters, generators, and ignition
coils along with spark plugs, filters, brakes and shock absorbers.
In 1986 the product lines were turned over to the respective component
divisions with DR selling the motor line to Daewoo Automotive Components,
the ignition coil line being scrapped and the DIF generator being
transferred to the new Villeron Plant in France.
||El Paso, TX
The El Paso Warehouse had no
plant number associated with and was a leased facility of 80,000 square
Parts coming in and out of Mexico came through this location due to
This was built to produce many
of the sensors and solenoids that DR was beginning to come out with at
this time. Included in this product line would be ABS, transmission
and knock sensors along with transmission solenoids. Plant 35 is
still operating as a Delphi facility.
Built to produce the
Maintenance-Free Battery for the European market.
The old Pepsi Plant on the
west side of Anderson was the launch center until it moved back to Plant
This was a leased facility
that worked on advanced lead acid, lithium polymer, nickel-zinc battery
work and advanced rotating machines. Work on batter technology and
drive motor systems began in 1990 at this location on the GM Impact which
evolved into the GM EV1 in 1996 after this portion of Delco-Remy Division
had become part of AC Delco Systems.
This battery plant was the red
haired step child of the Division. It does not show up in the
official histories or organization charts of the mid 70's of DR but in the
the early 90's it was being claimed as a Division Battery Plant in
marketing material being distributed to customers. It was actually
inside the GM of Canada complex at Oshawa and may have originally been
operated by that group and management responsibility transferred to DR.
In the 2000's there were Delphi persons assigned to the plant.
This was a leased facility on
Dickey Road (400 South) on the south side of Anderson. The 4,000
square feet of office space may have been utilized by the Magnequench
Group as they awaited the construction of Plant 46.
This was the Magnequench plant
that produced rare earth neodymium magnets. The business is now
owned by NEO Material Technologies in Toronto, Ontario, Canada but its
plants are in China and Thailand.
Home Design Products now molds
plastic chairs and other items in the plant.
Delco International Battery
Co. in Shanghai, China was assigned this number in 1998 which is post DR.
|23 30 31 32 34
37 42 43 44 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55
Plant numbers unmatched to
built plants, engineering centers, joint ventures or prospective plants
that were never constructed.
Shared Sales office with other GM Divisions.
Automotive Components), Taegu, Korea
Plants 57 and 58 were next to
|| Kumi, Korea
This leased facility contained
almost 25,000 square feet of offices and labs devoted to Lithium Polymer
battery research as the DR half of a joint venture with Valence Technology
which at that time was in San Jose, CA. In 1995 both DR and Valance
moved to an empty building in Henderson, NV for the pooling of resources
in battery development. After the Lithium Polymer project moved to
Nevada NiMH battery
development was moved in. Plant 77 was in the Crosspoint Business Park.
This 61,000 square foot plant produced the
Intergrated Coil Electronic (ICE) Ignition system.