The History of the Delco-Remy Divsion of General Motors
A.K.A. "The Remy Brothers" or "The Remy Electric Company"
1896-1994
Delco-Remy at the Normandy Invasion, June 6, 1944   World War Two Products and Product Applications   The Army-Navy "E" for Excellence Award   Our War Job

Home  History   The Plants   Plant Photos   Moments in Time  The Products   Product Brochures   Service Manuals   Training Booklets   Video  Employment Numbers   Museums   Sources  Allied Divisions   Revisions   Reunions   Remy Electric Country Club   Vintage Literature about The Remy Electric Company   Links

 

Air Force Museum   America's Packard Museum    Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum   Buick Museum   Chrysler Museum   Gilmore Car Museum   Kansas Aviation Museum   Kokomo Auto Museum   Michigan Firehouse Museum   Museum of Flight   National Automobile and Truck Museum    National Packard Museum   Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust Allison Branch  RE Olds Transportation Museum   Ropkey Armor Museum   Studebaker Museum   USS Alabama Aviation Museum   War in the Pacific Museum   Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum

Gilmore Car Museum - Hickory Corners, MI

This page added 3-2-2014.
This museum located out in the country northeast of Kalamazoo, MI is a large complex make up of several buildings on the campus with all sorts of historic and in some cases little known vehicles.  Delco-Remy tags are evident on several displays as can be seen below. 
 
The Franklin Car Company was in business from 1902 until 1934 and used Delco-Remy parts.  This 1928 Series 12a Airman engine is a prime example of DR component usage.
 
This is actually rather interesting something I had not seen before.  This starter had both a DR tag and an Autolite tag.  As can be seen here the DR tag is on the frame while the Autolite tag is on the frame end.  It would appear that the DR cranking motor was rebuilt at some point in time with the competitor's part.
 

DR tag model 723 C and serial number 3925 is on the cranking motor.
 
The Autolite tag.
 

The DC generator is all Delco-Remy.


Model number 957E and Serial number 3052.
 

The 1931 Franklin Airman engine on a simulated engine stand has only a Delco-Remy distributor.
 

 

The DR tag on the distributor is Model Number 643N and Serial Number 1929. 
 
 

There is one whole wing or large room dedicated to the now by-gone Franklin automobile. 
 

In the middle of the room is this wooden chassis model with engine featuring Direct Air Cooling which did away with the need for the radiator.
 
 
 

The DR starter is Model 723-C and Serial 1111.
 
 

The DC generator is a 957E with Serial 7050.
 
This is the outside of the wing that featured the Franklin vehicles.
 
There is one small building dedicated to the Pierce-Arrow automobile.  Picture here is a 1932 Model 54 eight cylinder engine that could produce 125 hp.
 
It came with a Delco-Remy distributor.
 
Model number 660P, Serial number 4601.  The starter and DC generator looked to be DR products but had no tags on them for confirmation.
 

In another buildingis the famous or infamous 1945 Tucker automobile with the three headlights.
 
For those that come up and view the engine they see two names on it;  Tucker and Delco-Remy, as the DR tag is very obvious on the distributor. 
 

While the Serial number has been scratched off the Model number 111084 is still identifiable.  The main thing is that the visitors can plainly read the name "Delco-Remy".
 

Now this is some serious engine from Cadillac in 1930 with a V-16 of 452 cu. in. producing 165 hp.  Note the double Delco-Remy ignition coils and 16 cylinder distributor. 
 

The Delco-Remy DC generator on the Cadillac V-16.
 

The generator is model 927E and serial number 518.
 

The rubber boots on the DR distributor have cracked over time but he distributor cap looks to be in good condition.
 

This distributor was built in the time period when Delco-Remy controlled the DELCO plant in Dayton, OH.  Everyone in a while I come across one of these.
 
This DR cranking motor has the foot starter built into it.
 

Serial number 457 and Serial number 1146.
 
Note the red Bakelite tops to the twin coils.  This is unusual as they are normally black.  Cadillac may have wanted something a little different.
 
 The name Delco-Remy is plainly seen molded into the red tops here.
 
Also at the Gilmore Museum is this "see through" display of a Chevrolet Corvair engine.   Seen here are the DR Distributor and DC generator.
 
Here the starter and solenoid are visible.
 
 

 

 

Delco-Remy at the Normandy Invasion, June 6, 1944   World War Two Products and Product Applications   The Army-Navy "E" for Excellence Award   Our War Job
Home  History   The Plants   Plant Photos   Moments in Time  The Products   Product Brochures   Service Manuals   Training Booklets   Video  Employment Numbers   Museums   Sources  Allied Divisions   Revisions   Reunions   Remy Electric Country Club   Vintage Literature about The Remy Electric Company   Links

This Website has no affiliation with General Motors, Delphi Holdings, Remy International, or Borg-Warner.  The content is to only present a historical perspective of the plants and products of the former Delco-Remy Division previous to 1994.  All content
presented on this website is for general information only.   Website designed and maintained by David D Jackson.  
Contact:  David D Jackson