The History of the Delco-Remy Divsion of General Motors
A.K.A. "The Remy Brothers" or "The Remy Electric Company"
1896-1994
Delco-Remy at the Normandy Invasion, June 6, 1944   World War Two Products and Product Applications    The Army-Navy "E" Award   Our War Job

Home  History   The Plants   Plant Photos   Moments in Time  The Products   Product Brochures   Service Manuals   Training Booklets   Video  Employment Numbers   Museums   Sources  Allied Divisions   Revisions   Reunions   Remy Electric Country Club   Vintage Literature about The Remy Electric Company   Links

 

Plant One Complex Photos   Little Known Plant Photos  The Acre Plant Photos  Battery Plant Photos   Remote SLI Plant Photos   New Brunswick, NJ Demolition Photos
Plant Photos
Anderson Plants east of Columbus Ave.
Includes Plants 3, 7, 10, 11, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 46

The Acre


The Acre in 1950 with Plants 3, 7 and 10.  Note that additions to the east and north side of Plant 10 have not yet taken place, as is the case with Plant 3 additions.  Plant 3 is only half the size it will be in the end.  Compare to the two photos below that show the additions of Plant 11 and the growth of Plant 3.


This photo of the Acre comes from a pamphlet that was given to visitors as they toured the new plant 11, shown here on the right.  Entitled "Panorama of Progress", it was handed out during the November 1-2, 1952 Plant 11 Open House.  See the entire pamphlet on the "Moments in Time" page of this website.


The Acre in 1961.  Plant 18 is under construction and the additions to Plant 10 east side is there and Plant 3 has its 1951 additions taking it all the way out to Scatterfield Road.  The water treatment plant is not yet constructed.  The Plan 11 Oil House is also shown.  Photo from December 1961 Delco-Remy Clan via Brian Mulcahy.


Photo from between 1963 and 1966 as this contains the original Plant 17 which has trees where later there would be more plant space.  Also Plant 3 and 10 now have all of there additions added.


The Acre before development on Scatterfield Road.  This also what could have been but never was for Delco-Remy.  The farm fields in the center of the photo that now contain a race track, casino and a big box store was at one time owned by DR for plant expansion.  Plans were made to put the new Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction starter plant there.  However, that product went to Meridian, MS as Plant 20 was the last DR Plant built in Anderson.  Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


Plant 20 in the lower left.  This may have been while the plant was under construction as there are no cars in the lot while the rest of the plants have full parking lots.  From this reverse view of the DR Anderson Complex the huge size of Plant 17 after the additions is obvious.    (Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society. 


 In the lower right hand corner is Indiana & Michigan Power's Madison Substation, which was one of three that supplied a total of seven DR and Guide Lamp substations in a loop with 34 KV.  Madison Sub supplied DR Sub Stations #2 and #3.  #2 supplied the Plants 3 and 7, and #3 fed power to Plants 17 and 18.  DR # 1fed the Plant One complex and DR#4 fed Plant 10 and 19. Plant 20 was fed with 138KV into DR #5.  During the 1970's and 1980's DR would consume 25-30,000 Mwh on a monthly basis which resulted in an $1million plus electric bill.  When combined with Guide Lamp the peak electrical demand would reach 100 MW which was larger than the peak demand for the city of Anderson.

The Fourth Plant Three


The last Plant 3 in 1937.  Plant 3 had multiple additions over the years including filling in the space in the left front corner out to the street.  Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


Plant 3 has grown since 1937 in this early 1960's photo but still has several additions on the south side to be done in 1964 as can be seen from the drawing below.


This photo shows the 1964 additions.  From the December issue of the Clan.


The Final product.  This photo would have been taken in the mid 1990's.


From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.


The west end in 1974.  From 1974 Land and Buildings Manual.


The east end in 1974.  From 1974 Land and Buildings Manual.


 The west end in 1995.  From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.


1995 Part two.  The east end.  From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.

The Third Plant Seven


Plant 7 during WWII when it was an aluminum foundry producing aircraft engine parts for Allison.  From our War Job.


This 1950 photo catches Plant 7 at the end of the first shift.  Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


From 1974 Land and Buildings Manual.

Plant Ten


Plant 10 during WWII.  From our War Job.


During WWII Plant 10 made aircraft magnetos.  This is the final assembly line.  From Our War Job.


Photo of the previous picture of Plant Ten under construction in December of 1964.  From the December 1964 Clan.


Plant Ten as viewed from the back or south side.


This circa 1950 photo shows the Plant Ten distributors being built by hand.  This comes from the 1950 DR Training Manual "Better Ignition".  Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


From 1974 Land and Buildings Manual.

 

The Second Plant 11


Plant 11 was built in 1952 and had no additions through its 54 year life time.  From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.


The north end in 1974.  From 1974 Land and Buildings Manual.


The north end in 1974.  From 1974 Land and Buildings Manual.


North of the firewall in May 1995 with overlap.  From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.


South of the firewall in May 1995 with overlap.  From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.

Plant 17 and 18


Plant 18 on the right or the west side as we are looking south.  Plant 17 is the big plant on the left behind the water tower, with Plant 20 just in the upper left of the photo.  The good old days as the parking lots for both 17 and 18 are full.  It also looks like cars are parking illegally (DR rules) in front of Plant 18.  The should be parking at the south end in the turn around.  Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


This aerial taken and looking east also has a portion of Plant 11 in the lower left.  These were the good old days.  Full employee parking lots with plenty of visitors to Plant 18.  Note the I&M Madison Sub in the background. 

Plant 17


From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.



The plant was huge and tripled in floor space from the original 1963 construction.  From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.


1974.  Note DR power substation #3 in the lower right, which supplied both Plant 17 and 18.  From 1974 Land and Buildings Manual.


1995.  From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.

Plant 18

A very early photo of Plant 18 taken from the roof of Plant 11. Note that the driveway in front of the plant only extends to the lobby and that the sign in the next photo has not been installed yet.  There are trees where Plant 17 will be built.  Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


From the October 1961 Clan.


Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


This color photo of Plants 18 and 17 in autumn.  Note that that there are two different types of roofs on Plant 17 depending on when each section was constructed.  Also coal is being stockpiled for the Plant 3 Powerhouse.  Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


1986.  Gene Phillips photo.


The live engine test room.  Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society.


From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.


From 1974 Land and Buildings Manual.


January 1995.  From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.

Plant 19


This appears to be a 1996 photograph.  Plant 10 is behind 19 across the tracks and the majestic Plant One can be seen in the background.  Plant 19 was purchased by Amacor, which recycles magnesium. Magnesium if set on fire will burn fiercely and is used in flares for that property.  Everyone in Anderson got a good visual lesson on this on January 14, 2005 when the west end (left) of the building burned to the ground.  The bright, white flames that were produced during the fire could be seen for miles.  The magnesium caught on fire after being started by one of the employees working there.  In 2007 the arsonist was convicted and sentenced to 30 years in jail.  The amazing thing is that the person had two previous convictions for arson in PA and yet was hired into a plant that has highly flammable magnesium.  Photo courtesy of Ted Vinson / Madison County Historical Society. 


 


Plant 19 was built in 1970 and had a 1985 addition where Depts. 9502 and 9552 are shown.  The lower left where 1905 is located is the portion of the plant that burned in 2005.  From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.

Plant 20


From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.


This ground level photo from the driveway shows the 1985 addition to the far right.  The other two photos to not show it.  From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.


Plant 20 in Anderson, IN.  This plant was built in 1972 for the production of High Energy Ignitions which were introduced for the 1974 model year.  The plant was purchased from the City of Anderson in 2010 by S&S Steel that also owns Plant 15..  Gene Phillips Photo.


From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.


From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.

Plant 46


Gene Phillips photo.


  Gene Phillips photo.


From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.
 


From 1995 Land and Buildings Manual.

Plant One Complex Photos   Little Known Plant Photos  The Acre Plant Photos  Battery Plant Photos   Remote SLI Plant Photos   New Brunswick, NJ Demolition Photos

 

 

Delco-Remy at the Normandy Invasion, June 6, 1944   World War Two Products and Product Applications   The Army-Navy "E" for Excellence Award   Our War Job
Home  History   The Plants   Plant Photos   Moments in Time  The Products   Product Brochures   Service Manuals   Training Booklets   Video  Employment Numbers   Museums   Sources  Allied Divisions   Revisions   Reunions   Remy Electric Country Club   Vintage Literature about The Remy Electric Company   Links

This Website has no affiliation with General Motors, Delphi Holdings, Remy International, or Borg-Warner.  The content is to only present a historical perspective of the plants and products of the former Delco-Remy Division previous to 1994.  All content
presented on this website is for general information only.   Website designed and maintained by David D Jackson.  
Contact:  David D Jackson